Setenil de las Bodegas is situated in the east of the province of Cadiz and geographically almost completely surrounded by the province of Malaga. Today Setenil has a population of 3,500 inhabitants. It is built on the borders of the Guadalporcún River cutting the Miocene Rock landscape, serving as a natural defence of the village throughout its history. It belonged to the Catholic Kings (Reyes Católicos) who conquered it in September 1484 after intense battles. To celebrate this victory Queen Isabelle donated a “chasuble”, still to be observed in the parish church.
The small cave-like streets of this astonishing village are formed from the overhanging ledge of a gorge. Many of the white houses – some two or three storeys high – have natural roofs in the rock and are constructed into the caves and burrows on both sides, attached to the rocks. A short walk through the village is absolutely a must.